Wednesday, February 3, 2010

SIDS - New Research Study

The cause of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) has eluded doctors for years. Everyone has a theory, usually old wives tales.

A recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association attributes SIDS to lower amounts of serotonin in the brain - a chemical which regulates breathing and heart rate. To learn more about the findings click here.

I can't imagine losing a baby to SIDS. When Little Miss was a newborn I was very paranoid. And when she finally started sleeping through the night I found myself checking on her frequently to make sure she was still breathing.

It is a tragedy when a baby is lost to SIDS. Hopefully this research will lead to possible full proof prevention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It helps me to know what you're interesed in and what you would like to learn about. It also gives me the chance to get to know you better & find more qualified moms to be guest bloggers!

**I reserve the right to not publish a comment that is a personal attack on another reader - we all have differing views on parenting & this is a place where you can feel safe sharing your opinions. Please remember to be respectful!**

Thanks!
~Barb

Related Posts with Thumbnails