Friday, March 26, 2010

Date Night

Before Little Miss came along, Ry and I went on a date every Friday night. After she came along - well, it's been a different story. We still felt like it was important for us to have a date night - but I nursed her for 12 months, so we couldn't ever leave her for very long. We had to get creative...

So how do you have a date night with little ones? You either involve them on the date, or wait until they're sleeping. Some of my favorite date nights we've had since we became 3:
  1. The Train Date: we packed a picnic dinner, lots of diapers, and rode the train downtown. Little Miss was about 5 months old and loved it. We stopped at random places so I could feed her (thank heavens for nursing covers!) and had such a great time walking around and exploring. We left early so we could get home earlier to put her to bed.


  2. Hiking: we love to hike. And thanks to our Kelty Kids Pack, last summer we had a blast. This summer I'm sure will be different now that Little Miss is insistent on walking everywhere...very slow hiking in our future.


  3. Thank goodness for grandmas. Both of Little Miss's grandma's have been awesome at watching her for us when we need a break! Without them, we wouldn't be able to do much at all! Not sure what we'll do when we don't live close to family anymore...

  4. Just staying at home. After a long work week both Ry and I love to just stay home sometimes. After Little Miss is in bed we catch up on episodes of Lost and The Office while trading backrubs or playing a game of Rummikub. It's funny the little things you appreciate once you have a child - like just sitting on the couch quietly holding hands while watching TV uninterrupted...amazing.
So...how do you keep the sparks alive? Or make time for your spouse and fun now that you have a little one? Have any great ideas to share? Please do!

If you haven't checked it out yet - I am a total fan of Love, Actually. Such cute, simple ideas to keep the romance in your marriage alive.

2 comments:

  1. When we used to eat out, we would have a fast food friday where one of us goes and gets some food and then we eat and watch a movie while baby sleeps. It is very hard to work around nursing. We usually just do stuff together after Ryan goes to bed. But sometimes, if you can get a sitter, just going and doing some errands is fun. It's nice to go somewhere without having any plans.

    and I LOVE love actually! I just stole some ideas for St. Patricks Day.

    I was wondering if you could do your weaning story. I am trying to start Ryan on whole milk and right now he hates it. I would love to hear yours and hopefully others' stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having date night! We didn't do it for a long time and have just started doing it every two weeks. It makes such a difference. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! It helps me to know what you're interesed in and what you would like to learn about. It also gives me the chance to get to know you better & find more qualified moms to be guest bloggers!

**I reserve the right to not publish a comment that is a personal attack on another reader - we all have differing views on parenting & this is a place where you can feel safe sharing your opinions. Please remember to be respectful!**

Thanks!
~Barb

Related Posts with Thumbnails