Tuesday, March 16, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Fun & Food

Let's start with the food. I want to eat one of these right now...

...there is just something about it that looks so ridiculously good! You can find the recipe for Rainbow Cupcakes here.

This Pot of Gold just looks fun...

...that recipe is here.

Little Miss loves to color and paint...so we did the following...

You can print out your own Green Things Book here.

And our favorite activity - getting messy with the paint. Half way through our rainbow she decided she wanted footprints instead of handprints...I love how it turned out!

Next year when Little Miss is a little older we'll do a scavengar hunt for a pot of gold. You can make this hard/easy depending on your child's age.

Use paper shamrocks to write your clues on and at the end of the hunt - a black pot filled with chocolate gold coins of course! I would probably start with our first clue in the mailbox - since Little Miss loves to check the mail with me everyday. I think she'd get a kick out of getting her own mail!

Some books to read on St. Patrick's Day (list courtesy of apples4theteacher.com) :
Billy Beg and His Bull - An Irish Tale Billy Beg and His Bull: An Irish Tale
by Ellin Greene
Caitlin, The Irish Dancer, Sticker Paper Doll Caitlin, The Irish Dancer, Sticker Paper Doll
by Barbara Steadman
Children's Irish-English Dictionary Children's Irish-English Dictionary
Clever Tom and the Leprechaun: An Old Irish Story Clever Tom and the Leprechaun: An Old Irish Story
by Linda Shute
Fair, Brown & Trembling : An Irish Cinderella Story Fair, Brown & Trembling : An Irish Cinderella Story
by Jude Daly (Illustrator)
Hooray, for St. Patrick's Day! Hooray, for St. Patrick's Day!
by Joan Holub
Irish Dance Recital Sticker Activity Book Irish Dance Recital Sticker Activity Book
by Barbara Steadman
St. Patrick's Day Books for kids - Jack and the Leprechaun Jack and the Leprechaun
by Ivan Robertson, Katy Bratun (Illustrator)
Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato
by Tomie dePaola
Leprechaun Luck: A Wee Book of Irish Wisdom Leprechaun Luck: A Wee Book of Irish Wisdom
by Erin Gobragh
St. Patrick's Day Books for kids - Look What Came from Ireland Look What Came from Ireland
by Miles Harvey
St. Patrick's Day Books for kids - O'Sullivan Stew O'Sullivan's Stew
by Hudson Talbott
St. Patrick's Day Books for kids - Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland Patrick, Patron Saint of Ireland
by Tomie De Paola
Shamrocks, Harps, and Shillelaghs: The Story of the St. Patrick's Day Symbols Shamrocks, Harps, and Shillelaghs: The Story of the St. Patrick's Day Symbols
by Edna Barth
St. Patrick's Day Books for kids - St. Patrick's Day Alphabet St. Patrick's Day Alphabet
by Beverly Barras Vidrine, Patrick Soper (Illustrator)
St. Patrick's Day in the Morning St. Patrick's Day in the Morning
by Eve Bunting
St. Patrick's Day Parades, Shamrocks, and Leprechauns St. Patrick's Day Parades, Shamrocks, and Leprechauns
by Elaine Landau
St. Patrick's Day Books for kids - St. Patrick's Day St. Patrick's Day
by Gail Gibbons
That's What Leprechauns Do That's What Leprechauns Do
by Eve Bunting
The Ancient Celtic Festivals: And How We Celebrate Them Today The Ancient Celtic Festivals: And How We Celebrate Them Today
by Clare Walker Leslie
The King of Ireland's Son The King of Ireland's Son
by Brendan Behan
The Last Snake in Ireland: A Story About St. Patrick The Last Snake in Ireland: A Story About St. Patrick
by Sheila Macgill-Callahan
The Luckiest Leprechaun: A Tail-Wagging Tale of Friendship The Luckiest Leprechaun: A Tail-Wagging Tale of Friendship
by Justine Korman
St. Patrick's Day Books for kids - The Saint Patrick's Day Shillelagh The St. Patrick's Day Shillelagh
by Janet Nolan, Ben Stahl (Illustrator)
The St. Patrick's Day Shillelagh This Is Ireland
by M. Sasek
St. Patrick's Day Books for kids - Tim O'Toole and the Wee Folk Tim O'Toole and the Wee Folk
by Gerald McDermott


And a fun movie or two...

Finian's Rainbow with Fred Astaire - Rated G


Or after the kids are in bed...


Far and Away with Nicole Kidman & Tom Cruise...although I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise, I do love this movie. Don't judge me.

Have fun this St. Patrick's Day!!

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for St. Patricks Day this year. Not so much for Ryan, I don't know how much he can appreciate it, but for Jared! I follow Love Actually and there have been so many cute ideas!

    I can't wait until next year though when Ryan can appreciate these types of activities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these ideas! Those rainbow cupcakes look super yummy! Mmmmm. And I LOVE that rainbow painted with your little girl's cute hands and feet. How adorable. And the scavenger hunt is such a great idea, I can't wait to hear about it next year! Thanks for all of these fun ideas. I know you take your time researching and I appreciate it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, don't those cupcakes look delish! We made a whole grain muffin version, and it turned out great too...and made me feel a little more healthy (hey, I got baby weight to lose!)
    LOVE love love the hand/foot print rainbow. Super clever, and too cute!
    And PS I love Far and Away too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try the coloring book activity for my 2 year old niece. Enjoying Saint Patrick's Day can always been fun even if I'm away from the home. I mailed my mom a saint patrick ecard so she would see her babies.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! It helps me to know what you're interesed in and what you would like to learn about. It also gives me the chance to get to know you better & find more qualified moms to be guest bloggers!

**I reserve the right to not publish a comment that is a personal attack on another reader - we all have differing views on parenting & this is a place where you can feel safe sharing your opinions. Please remember to be respectful!**

Thanks!
~Barb

Related Posts with Thumbnails