Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homemade Steamers

If you haven't had a steamer - you need to! I love them with all of my little girl heart. It's a great alternative to hot chocolate for a warm drink during the cold months (or all year round if you're like me). You can get them at coffee shops for about $3-4, so yummy. But kind of on the pricey side for me.

And if you don't drink caffeinated drinks, no worries - steamers are only milk with flavoring - no caffeine.

I decided I didn't want to pay the high price anymore - my homemade price for steamers is 43 cents/cup compared to the $3-4 I usually pay. Yep, good savings! And look at that frothy goodness...the only thing missing is the beatnik ambiance of the coffee shop....


Here's what you'll need...


Torani syrup flavoring. You can find it by the coffee filters and creamers in your local grocery store. There are tons of flavors - my favorites are Irish Cream, Hazlenut, and Amaretto. You can also use Torani syrups to flavor hot chocolate, milk shakes, lots of things! I even used 1/2 tsp in my bowl of cream of wheat the other morning - delicious!

Heat up on med-low 1 cup milk. To make sure it doesn't scald, and that it is nice and frothy at the end I use my handy mixer, love this thing...


...The milk will be far to hot to drink if you let it simmer - so just keep an eye on it and when you see the first light steam come off of the milk, turn it off. Then add 2 Tbsp your choice Torani syrup - mix again. And voila - homemade steamers! Tastes just like what you buy at the coffee shop!

2 comments:

  1. I feel silly even admitting this, but I never even knew what a steamer was until now. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blogs Barb!!! Follow me OK?
    Love,
    Grammy T.
    http://grammytsamazingadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! It helps me to know what you're interesed in and what you would like to learn about. It also gives me the chance to get to know you better & find more qualified moms to be guest bloggers!

**I reserve the right to not publish a comment that is a personal attack on another reader - we all have differing views on parenting & this is a place where you can feel safe sharing your opinions. Please remember to be respectful!**

Thanks!
~Barb

Related Posts with Thumbnails