Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Spirit of Giving, Not Getting

So many kids are spoiled rotten - you know the ones I'm talking about. Being a parent it is so hard to not buy your kids everything, especially this time of year. There are so many things I want to get Little Miss for Christmas - but I'm not. I don't want to raise one of those kids. Besides not raising a spoiled brat, I also want to enstill in my child a love of giving - not just getting.

How does one go about doing this? Especially with very small children - Little Miss is just 2 1/2.

At the beginning of the month I explained to her that some mommy's and daddy's work very hard and don't have a lot of money to buy their kids toys for Christmas. Then I asked her if she thought it would be a good choice (we talk about choices a lot) to go through her toys and pick some out to give away to those kids. She said yes "that would make Jesus happy!"

So...we set out with en empty box and I ended up having to reign her in - she wanted to give away just about everything in her room!

With older children - volunteering at a soup kitchen would be great!

Or door bell ditching a jar of change you've collected throughout the year, or groceries you buy as a family, to a family in need. I think involving your children in the process is key.

What are some other ways to teach children the joy of giving during the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It helps me to know what you're interesed in and what you would like to learn about. It also gives me the chance to get to know you better & find more qualified moms to be guest bloggers!

**I reserve the right to not publish a comment that is a personal attack on another reader - we all have differing views on parenting & this is a place where you can feel safe sharing your opinions. Please remember to be respectful!**

Thanks!
~Barb

Related Posts with Thumbnails