Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Trim the Tree

Some of my favorite tree ornaments are homemade. Not only are they something fun to do with your child, but a great way to bring a homey feel to the tree. They are a treasure to save and look back at, or can also be great gifts for teachers, grandparents, and friends. Without a doubt, there are hundreds of ideas, but here are just a few.
  • Holiday Wreath

First, take a small paper plate and cut out a hole in the center to place your picture. Then take squares of crepe paper or tissue paper, wrap it around the end of a pencil, dip it in glue, then adhere it to the plate. Repeat until the plate is covered. This is one I actually made in elementary school. Your finished product should be 3-dimensional….mine is a little flat, on account of it being two decades old…
  • Hand Print Santa

Trace your child’s hand on a piece of red craft foam, then on a piece of white. Cut the white one off at the thumb. Glue the white piece on top off the red. Add googly eyes, a pom pom nose, and a mustache cut from white foam. Draw a smile with puffy paint, then add a cotton ball brim, and another pom pom at the end of his hat. Attach a pipe cleaner for hanging. I received this from one of my kindergarten students, and it was my favorite gift that year!
  • Jar Lid Photo

Take an unused mason jar lid and drill a hole in the top and attach a photo to the front. Add a little glitter for décor, and if desired, have your child draw a holiday picture and attach to the back. Thank you, dear sister, for letting me use this photo of your awesome 80’s hair-do.

Happy decorating!

________________________________________________________________

Marie is a stay at home mom of two adorable kiddos who keep her super busy! She has a dual degree in Elementary Education and Early Childhood Education and continues to use her degree everyday of her mommy career!

Marie is one of my good friends and someone I look up to very much as a mommy. She has tons of fun ideas for things to do with your kids - so keep an eye out for her future guest posts.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I love that they are made from items I already have :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! It helps me to know what you're interesed in and what you would like to learn about. It also gives me the chance to get to know you better & find more qualified moms to be guest bloggers!

**I reserve the right to not publish a comment that is a personal attack on another reader - we all have differing views on parenting & this is a place where you can feel safe sharing your opinions. Please remember to be respectful!**

Thanks!
~Barb

Related Posts with Thumbnails